City Academy Series
SECOND SESSION COMING OCTOBER 19 - DECEMBER 14!
The Liberty Lake City Academy returns for a second offering during October to December. This 8-part weekly series offers residents the opportunity to gain a deep-dive understanding into how the city government and its services operate. Information at each weekly session will be provided directly by topic experts from the city's staff as well as leaders from local partnering organizations.
The City Academy series will be offered on Thursday nights starting at 6 p.m. Each of the topic-specific sessions at Liberty Lake’s City Hall (at 22710 E. Country Vista Drive) will involve presentations lasting about 90 minutes.
The original City Academy series earlier in 2023 was offered April 13 through June 1, and reached its attendee cap of 20 people.
Participants are encouraged to attend each installment of the entire 8-part series. Recognitions will be made at the Dec. 19 City Council meeting to participants who attend all or nearly all of the City Academy series.
As explained by city administrator Mark McAvoy, who developed the upcoming series: “A city academy is something some cities do to engage residents and provide more insights in how their local government works. It can also help encourage, inspire, and inform potential future leaders of the city.”
PLANNED SCHEDULE OF TOPICS FOR THE OCTOBER-DECEMBER CITY ACADEMY SERIES:
- Oct. 19: Form of Government — Presenters: Mayor and city administrator
- Oct. 26: Land Use and Zoning — Presenters: City administrator and finance director
- Nov. 2: Streets, Parks, and Library — Presenter: City's Operations & Maintenance direct, and library staff
- Nov. 9: Budget and Strategic Plan (6-8 p.m.) — Presenters: Members of the city's Planning & Engineering Department
- Nov. 16: Solid Waste — Presenters: Staff from Spokane Valley Waste Management
- No session on Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving)
- Nov. 30: Fire, Emergency Management Services, and 911 — Presenters: Spokane Valley Fire Dept. chief and staff from Spokane Regional Emergency Communications
- Dec. 7: Law Enforcement — Presenters: Staff from Liberty Lake Police Department
- Dec. 14: Utilities — Presenters: To be announced
- Dec. 19 (Tuesday): Recognition ceremony at City Council meeting
Pre-registration for the October-December 2023 session is available at our EventBrite link here. Attendance is capped at 20 residents.
You can also watch the city's Facebook site for previews of the City Academy's presentation topics each week as we get closer to the series.
WATCH THIS PAGE for ongoing updates. For more information about the City Academy, e-mail city administrator Mark McAvoy.