Requests for 2023 Tourism Promotion Funding are now being accepted by the city of Liberty Lake. These applications may be returned to City of Liberty Lake, 22710 E. Country Vista Drive, Liberty Lake, WA 99019 no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 2, 2022.
• Link here to the Grant Application Guidelines & the 2023 Lodging Tax Grant Application.
What is Hotel-Motel Tax (Lodging Tax)? Funding for this program comes from the City of Liberty Lake Tourism Fund, which receives hotel/motel taxes from lodging establishments inside the city limits. The city collects a 2% tax on the sale or charge made of lodging within the city of Liberty Lake.
State Law Defining the Use of Hotel-Motel Tax: This funding may be available to applicants if funding requests will be used for tourism marketing and promotion activities or operation of tourism-related facilities and/or events. Detailed information about the use of tourism funds is from the Revised Code of Washington (RCW), Chapter 67.28.
Important Terms Relating to RCW 67.28:
• Tourism: Economic activity resulting from tourists, which may include sales of overnight lodging, meals, tours, gifts, or souvenirs.
• Tourism promotion: Activities and expenditures designed to increase tourism, including but not limited to operations, advertising, publicizing, or otherwise distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming tourists; developing strategies to expand tourism; operating tourism promotion agencies; and funding marketing of special events and festivals designed to attract tourists.
• Tourism-related facility: Real or tangible personal property with a usable life of three or more years, or constructed with volunteer labor, and used to support tourism, performing arts, or to accommodate tourist activities.
Who May Apply? The 2023 funding program is open to organizations with the demonstrated ability to achieve tourism goals as outlined below:
• Increase hotel occupancy in Liberty Lake by creating overnight stays.
• Increase overnight stays during the off season.
• Provide visitor attractions and/or promotes the area’s existing attractions.
• Attracts more businesses to Liberty Lake and thereby generates additional business for hotels and motels.
Selection and Award Process: Funding of the program and specific awards are dependent on recommendations made by the City Lodging Tax Advisory Committee with final decisions made by the City Council. Funds will be awarded on a competitive basis, and applicants will be notified following City Council decision.
Application Requirements: All organizations seeking funding under this program must submit a completed application form for 2023 along with all required documentation in order to be considered for funding. Projects and events must take place and be completed between January 1 and December 31 of the designated year on the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee.
Please submit only one fully completed and signed original application by 5:00 p.m. on December 2, 2022. All applications must be able to be clearly reproduced in black and white. Emailed copies to firstname.lastname@example.org are preferred, but physical applications can also be sent to:
City of Liberty Lake
Attention: Lodging Tax
22710 E. Country Vista Drive
Liberty Lake, WA 99019
Organizations awarded funds will be required to execute a contractual agreement that will set out the performance expectations, level of funding and the mechanism for invoicing payment. The contract will cover such areas as definition of the project goals, definition of eligible costs, specification of payment procedures, limits of city liability, and other usual and customary requirements.
Funds are supplied on a reimbursement basis. Projects must first incur costs, and then a request for reimbursement with submittal of the final closeout report as stated in the contract guidelines is required.
For more information, contact Kyle Dixon at (509) 755-6702 or email@example.com.