2016 Golf Cart Laws
• The operator of the golf cart must be at least sixteen years old and possess a valid driver’s license.
• If you have a revoked or suspended driver’s license you may not operate a golf cart.
• You shall not transport more passengers than the manufacturer’s designed seating capacity. All occupants shall be seated during operation and the use of seat belts shall be mandatory while the golf cart is being operated.
• No golf cart may be operated at a speed greater than reasonable and prudent for the existing conditions, and in no instance at a speed greater than twenty (20) miles per hour.
• Golf carts must be operated to the extreme right of the roadway and must yield to all vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic.
• The authorized driver of a golf cart operating the cart on a street can cross an excluded street but otherwise may not operate a golf cart on any excluded street. (Excluded streets include streets with a posted speed limit of more than 25 MPH).
• Golf carts are prohibited from pulling trailers, boats, jet skis, other objects or people on the streets.
• Golf cart operators shall maintain proof of insurance coverage for the golf cart.
• Golf carts must be operated in accordance with all applicable state and local laws and ordinances, including all laws, regulations and ordinances pertaining to the possession and use of drugs and alcoholic beverages.
• Golf carts shall not be operated one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise unless the vehicle meets all the lighting and other equipment requirements. (Headlamp(s) on the front, red rear reflector and or a lamp emitting a red light on the back of the golf cart.)
• Golf carts shall not be operated in a negligent manner.
• Golf carts must be equipped with reflectors, seat belts, rearview mirrors.
• Violation of the golf cart ordinance is a civil infraction with a fine not to exceed $250.00.
2016 Golf Cart Registration
• All golf cart owners must complete a golf cart registration form and submit the application to the Liberty Lake Police Department for approval before driving on the street. (Owners will have until Dec. 31st of 2016 to obtain the permit)
• There is no cost for the golf cart registration.
• You will be issued two registration decals, one will be posted on the driver’s side front quarter panel (fender), and the second decal will be placed on the back of the cart.
• Upon issuance of the registration, the owner will receive a copy of the golf cart laws.
• The registration decal shall be valid for as long as the golf cart is owned by the applicant.
• The registration decal must be visible on the golf cart at all times when operated on the street.
• Lost or stolen registration stickers are the responsibility of the owner and must be replaced before operating the golf cart is operated in the street.
• The registration permit may be revoked if the owner or operator of the golf cart fails to abide by the rules and regulations of the golf cart ordinance.
For the purpose of the is ordinance “street” is defined as the entire right of way width and between the curb and boundary lines and shoulder or swale of public property, when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of pedestrian, bicycle, or vehicular travel including parking.
This includes the vehicular lanes of travel, bike lanes, sidewalks and asphalt pathways.